4-5 ounces tempeh, cut in half
1/4 cup tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
2 teaspoons agave syrup or maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
several grinds fresh black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
4 pieces whole wheat bread
4 slices ripe tomato, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
4 leaves green or red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
1 avocado, to serve (optional)
red onion, sliced, to serve (optional)
sprouts, to serve (optional)
1. Steam tempeh for 10 minutes and then allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mix together the tamari, maple syrup, lemon juice, black pepper, and 1/2 the garlic.
2. When the tempeh is cool enough to handle, slice the pieces lengthwise to make 1/4" thick slices. Marinate for 8 minutes in tamari mixture on one side, then flip and marinate another 8 minutes. Remove the pieces and pat dry with a towel.
3. Spray the bottom of a skillet with olive oil pan spray, then add the 2 teaspoons olive oil. Fry the tempeh over medium-high heat until crispy, about 4 minutes on each side. If they begin to smoke, turn them and lower the heat. When they are crispy, remove them to a separate plate lined with a paper towel.
4. In a very small bowl, mix the vegan mayonnaise with the other 1/2 minced garlic clove. Spread 2 of the pieces of bread with the vegan mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 2 slices tomato on each piece of bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired. Add 3-4 slices of the cooked tempeh on top, then place 2 leaves of lettuce on each.
5. At this point, you may spread ripe avocado on the remaining slices of bread. It's extra-tasty. I also like to add red onion slices and fresh clover or broccoli sprouts to this sandwich. Place the two remaining slices of bread face-down on top of your lettuce leaves to complete the sandwich. Slice diagonally and serve with a tasty soup or salad. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.