750 ML bottle of vodka
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
1 cinnamon stick
1 pumpkin or banana squash
1) Choose a vodka that has been distilled at least three times. The more times vodka is distilled, the cleaner and purer it becomes and can more easily soak up other flavors. Open the bottle of vodka and pour a little out (make yourself a cocktail with it!)
2) Peel the side of the pumpkin or banana squash using a vegetable peeler. Get at least five good slices.
3) Push the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, cloves and peeled pumpkin or banana squash into the bottle.
4) Seal tightly and let sit in a cool, dry place until ready to use. For a lighter flavor, use in 3-4 days. For a stronger flavor, wait at least 2 weeks.
5) Open and make your favorite cocktail! I like to make a vegan pumpkin spice White Russian with some soy creamer and Kahlua! Delicious!
Here are some variations on the infused vodka that you can make, along with suggested infusion times:
Approx. 3 - 4 days: Vanilla beans, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, limes, mint, garlic, tarragon, basil, oregano, dill & thyme
Approx. 1 week: Cantaloupes, strawberries, peaches, mangoes, pitted cherries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
Up to 2 weeks: Whole chili peppers, pineapple, fresh ginger and lemon-grass
Source of recipe: A combination of many different recipes and a little experimentation!