1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cups unrefined cane sugar (or any granulated vegan sugar)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or canola oil will do)
1/8 cup ice water
1/2 tablespoon molasses (preferably blackstrap)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup dessicated unsweetened coconut (or substitute with pecan pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another bowl, combine sugar and oil. Mix on medium-high speed with hand mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add water, molasses and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
4. Reduce the mixer to low speed. Add flour mixture in 2 or 3 additions, mixing each addition until almost combined. Add chocolate chips and coconut and mix until just combined.
5. Use tablespoon to arrange small balls of dough on baking sheets. Make sure there is distance between each mound of cookie dough, as it will start spreading once in the oven. Bake 12 (for chewier cookies) to 15 minutes (for crunchy cookies), or until slightly browned around the sides and the centers are set. Let cool on cooling rack. (Cookies will harden even more once taken out of the oven.) ENJOY!!!
(This Recipe is adapted from a recipe in the book 'Skinny Bitch in the Kitch' by R. jFreedman and K. Barnouin)