1/2 cup oil
1 apple or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
9 tablespoons water
3 cups shredded beets/carrots
1 1/2 cup sweetener
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder or soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Prepare a spring form and rreheat oven to 350 degrees Farehneight
2) Scrub and trim your beets and then grate them finely. You could add carrot if you feel like it. I used two large beets and one carrot to make 3 cups shredded veggies. Put the prepared vegetables in a bowl.
3) Peel and core the apple and grate it on the fine side, which makes a wonderful fresh applesauce. Add to the vegetables.
4) In a separate bowl, mix flaxseed and water and let it sit for a minute or two. Add to the vegetables. Then add the oil and sweeter. Blend well. In a separate bowl, mix all remaining ingredients and then add to the vegetables. Pour into spring form and bake for 45 to 65 minutes, depending on the size of the form.
5) Let it cool and enjoy. It's even better after it's been in the fridge for a while..
Source: This is based on the Carrots and nothing else cake by baypuppy. It's a very moist, rich cake with a refreshingly earthy taste from the beets. Since there's beets, carrots, an apple and flaxseed in it, there's a chance it wont destroy you with unhealthiness.