1 package tempeh
1 1/2 large onions
1/2 large pickle
5 baby carrots
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon pickle juice
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup eggless-mayo (amount depends on personal taste, you may wish to start small and add to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
8 bun rolls
potato chips (not required)
1 large tomato and a few pieces lettuce
2 celery stalks
I have been CRAVING tuna fish salad and tried many online recipes, yet none seemed to satisfy my craving. One day I just decided to take all ingredients I used to PUT ON my tuna and combined everything together.
1. In a saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil and add largely chopped tempeh to the pan. Flip once after 10 minutes. Leave in pan for another 10 minutes (or until most of the moisture is gone).
2. While tempeh is cooking chop onions, carrots, celery, and pickle.
3. Add vegetables to a large bowl. Add seasoning, lemon and pickle juice. Mix and Set aside.
4. Drain tempeh and fork into crumbles.
5. Add tempeh to vegetable mixture and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes add mayo and place back into the fridge.
7. Serve on buns with tomato slices, lettuce and chips on the side.
-I like leaving my salad in the refrigerator for longer, but by this time everything is incorporated.
-I like to 'shell' out top of the buns and toast them. Then scoop the salad into the shell.
-The texture of chips actually feels and tastes AMAZING INSIDE the sandwich.
-You MAY have extra salad left over, depending on your serving sizes.
Some of my suggestions MAY sound off but taste incredible on this tuna-salad like sandwich.