1 large eggplant
salt, to taste
3 large tomatoes
olive oil,for frying
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Cut lengthwise strips of skin off eggplant and then cut eggplant into 1/3" thick slices. Sprinkle slices with salt, leave in colander for 20 minutes, then rinse, drain and pat dry.
2. Score a cross into base of each tomato with a knife, put tomatoes into a bowl of boiling water for 20 seconds, then into a bowl of cold water to cool. Remove and peel off skin. Cut in half horizontally and squeeze out seeds. Chop tomatoes and set aside.
3. Add olive oil to frypan, heat, fry eggplant slices in batches until browned on both sides. Set aside on plate. Cook garlic in olive oil left in frypan over low heat for a few seconds. Add tomato, paprika and cumin, increase heat to medium.
4. Add eggplant and cook mashing eggplant and tomato gently with a fork. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated. You can drain off some of the separated oil if it seems excessive, but leave some oil as it makes the flavour of the dish awesome.
5. Take off heat and stir through fresh coriander and lemon juice. Nice served with toasted turkish or sourdough bread. Yum!