1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (chives, marjoram, basil, oregano, rosemary...)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper cup liners.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and fry until golden brown. Add the nutritional yeast; stir until it smells toasty (be careful not to burn it). Pour in 1/2 cup nondairy milk and stir until the yeast flakes are dissolved. Allow to cool.
3. In a bowl, combine the remaining milk and cider vinegar. Stir in the applesauce.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, herbs, salt, baking soda, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour in the liquid mixtures and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
5. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
Source of recipe: In the absence of fake cheese, I modified the following recipe to use a yeasty cheeze sauce. http://alienontoast.blogspot.com/2008/06/steak-chips-and-savoury-muffins...