4 cups vital wheat gluten
unsweetened hemp milk (or rice, soy, ect.)
veggie bouillon cubes
2 14-16 oz cans tomato paste
1 tablespoon mince garlic
Cajun seasoning (optional)
salt to taste
bread crumbs or crackers with favorite seasoning
2 tablespoons corn starch
oil to cook
Step 1: The chicken steak prep
* 4 cups vital wheat gluten flour * 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk (or rice, almond, soy, ect) * 1 cup veggie broth * 2 small can tomato paste * 1 tablespoon minced garlic * 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (option, but suggested) * Salt to taste
1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl and knead the dough until it becomes spongy and elastic.
4. Stretch, mush, and mash them into small "steak sized" flat patties. The texture is pretty odd and stretchy. They kinda look like lumpy cookies - not very appetizing looking, but neither is raw chicken or steak.
5. Let sit while preparing your veggie broth.
Step 2: The cooked steak
Quick broth: 4 cubes of bouillon, 2 cups unsweetened hemp milk, 2 cups water.
Bring to a boil and add your patties. Let boil for about 5 min, then let simmer for at least 1 hour.
Remove patties from heat and let cool. It is suggested to keep them partially wet for your next step and save your left over broth.
Step 3 : The Chicken Fry
1 bowl with flour1 bowl with with bread crumbs (or crushed crackers with your favorite seasoning)1 bowl with 2 cups left over veggie broth from patties, 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed immediately.
Coat each chicken patty in the flour first, then the veggie broth starch mixture, then the cracker mixture. Really pack on the cracker crumbs so it has a nice thick coating.
Pour about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a pan. Let the oil get really hot before adding the patties. Once it’s hot, add the patties and cook each side until browned and crispy.
My favorite sides with this recipe: Mashed potatoes and lemon garlic Asparagus.
Source of recipe: My form of chicken fried steak recipe. Cooked many times and loved many times.