2 1/2 teaspoons flax meal + 3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 1/4-3 1/2 cups flour, divided
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon Icing:
1 1/2 cups vegan powdered sugar
2 tablespoons nondairy milk
1. Mix flax meal and water and let sit while moving on to the next step. Heat milk and margarine in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until margarine is melted; cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. In large bowl, combine margarine/milk mixture, dissolved yeast, 1 cup flour, oats, sweetener, flax mixture, salt and cinnamon; mix well.
2. Add enough additional flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape to form ball. Place in greased large bowl, turning once to coat surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Grease cookie sheet.
3. Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in 1/2. For bunny body, shape 1/2 to form a 36" long rope. Loosely roll up rope spiral fashion; pinch dough to seal end tightly. Place about 3" from bottom of prepared cookie sheet; press down slightly.
4. Divide remaining dough in 1/2. For bunny head, shape 1/2 of that to form a 25" rope. Loosely roll up rope spiral fashion; seal end tightly. Attach to top of body on cooked sheet by pinching dough together. Divide remaining dough into thirds. For tail, shape 1/3 to form a 15" long rope. Loosely roll up like others; pinch to seal end. Attach to side of body on cookie sheet by pinching dough together.
5. Shape remaining dough to form two 3 1/2" long bunny ears. Attach to head by pinching dough together. Let rise about 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack. For icing, mix milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bread.