1 block Mori-Nu extra-firm silken tofu
3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced onions (I used frozen)
3/4 cup broccoli cuts (I used frozen)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon soy sauce
turmeric, basil, garlic, cumin, Italian spices to your liking
I'm still new to cooking with tofu, so I had bought extra-firm tofu (not knowing the difference between silken and regular) and frozen it overnight. After I realized my mistake, I was worried that it wouldn't work in silken tofu recipes because I had already changed the texture with freezing. So I came up with a recipe where I didn't think it would matter!
1. Take the thawed tofu and squeeze most of the water out of it. I used to like my eggs moist, so I didn't want it completely pressed dry.
2. In a pan or skillet, saute your onions and broccoli in the diced tomato and its juices over medium heat. I do this to reduce the fat, you can use oil or cooking spray if your prefer.
3. Add the nutritional yeast and soy sauce to the mixture as the veggies cook
4. Once the onions are golden brown and most of the diced tomato juice has cooked out, crumbled the tofu over the veggies.
5. Stir the tofu constantly and add in desired spices. I think the cumin and turmeric are a must for the cheesy flavor.
6. Once the tofu looks done (as it starts to brown on the edges) remove from heat and serve by itself, in tortilla, or on toast.
This goes great with some salsa or ketchup. Amazingly healthy and delicious recipe.. only about 350 calories for the entire concoction! (I couldn't help but eat it all at once)