1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use vanilla soy)
1/4 cup vegan butter, softened (I use Smart Balance Light) Berries:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
3 cups frozen berries (I use blue, black, and maron berries)
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice Topping:
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Mix in milk and butter until smooth.
2. Over medium heat, in a medium pot, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, and water. Mix in berries, cook until bubbly, stirring frequently.
3. Add butter and lemon, stir and heat until butter is melted. In a 1-1 1/2 quart baking dish, alternate spooning in warm berries with batter.
4. For topping, mix white and brown sugar. When all berries and batter are in dish, sprinkle sugar mix and spices evenly over the dish.
5. Put dish in oven and bake until bubbly, about 35-40 minutes. (you might want to put the dish on a cookie sheet, in case it spills over the cobbler dish!)
This is one of my family’s favorite desserts. It’s even more delicious served warm with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!