2 cups brown or green lentils washed
1 large carrot
1 large stick celery including celery leaves
1 brown onion
1 large soft tomato
water to cover lentils
1/2 cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
dry chillie (optional)
1) Wash lentils in cold water.
2) Place washed lentils in pot with warm water and bring to boil.
3) Simmer for 10 min and then turn off heat and let lentils sit in hot water till you chop all ingredients.
4) Chop onion, carrot, celery & tomatoes into small pieces (around the same size as the lentils or a bit bigger).
5) Strain lentils and place back in pot.
6) Add chopped veggies, bay leaf, olive oil, salt & pepper & dry chillie (optional).
7) Cover with hot water and bring to boil.
8) Cover pot and simmer gently on med-low heat for around 40 min (stirring occasionally).
9) Take lid off and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until soup thickens.
10) Allow to cool a little and serve with a splash of white vinegar!