2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 1/2-2 cups butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup nondairy milk
3-4 cups whole wheat flour
1. First boil potatoes and carrots until soft, but do not over cook. Place butternut in a microwave safe dish and add 1/2 cup water; microwave for approximately 10-15 minutes. Once the potatoes, carrot and squash have cooled, you're ready for the next step. Place potatoes in a food processor.
2. Scoop out the flesh of the butternut squash and add to food processor. Add carrot , salt and milk. Process until smooth and creamy. Once the ingredients have completely processed, move mixture into a large mixing bowl. Begin adding flour. Once it becomes difficult to mix with a spoon, begin mixing by hand. Boil water for cooking gnocchi.
3. Flour your work surface liberally and knead in remaining flour. Be careful not to add too much flour, but add enough so the dough is somewhat light, easy to kneed and is not sticky! Continue to kneed for 2-3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes or so then separate into 4 sections.
4. Roll sections out into long roll about 1/4 to 1/2" diameter. Once rolled out, use a fork to cut 1/2" sections at a time, and roll into small balls; press with fork. Repeat until dough is gone, or you have enough gnocchi for your meal.
5. Add gnocchi to boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until gnocchi floats to the surface. Once you remove the dumplings, it's good practice to place the dumplings in a bath of ice water, or really cold water for a couple seconds to stop the cooking. Add your favorite sauce and enjoy!