2 cups + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup+3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1.5 tablespoons baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
2 1/3 cups soy buttermilk*
1 tablespoon oil
1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries
3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
1.5 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
* To make 2 1/3 cups soy buttermilk, combine about 2 1/4 cups +2 Tablespoon soymilk, and add 2 T+1 Tablespoon vinegar. Then let it sit for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, viola! you have soy buttermilk.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease tins for 18 muffins.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffins tins.
4. To make the topping, in a small bowl, combine the oats, 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and buttery spread and stir to blend. Sprinkle an equal amount of topping over each muffin.
5. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes (it should be a golden brown). Cool for 5-10 minutes.
Hope you enjoy my recipe.