1/2 (1/4 ounce) package active yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
olive oil, as needed Toppings:
1 head garlic
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
1 (8 ounce) package vegan cream cheese, softened (I use Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
2-3 tablespoons vegan yogurt
4-5 black or red olives, sliced
1. For the crust, add yeast to very warm water mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar for proofing. Yeast should bubble. While you do that, mix the flours, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt. After the yeast is bubbly (10 minutes at most), pour it in with the dry ingredients and stir. Transfer to a clean, floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Shape into a ball, coat with a thin layer of olive oil, and cover with a damp cloth in a warm draft-free place, for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Punch down dough, then knead it for a minute or so, and return to the covered bowl for at least another hour. While you are waiting for the second rise, begin steps for the toppings. Remove the outer skin from the garlic bulb, but not from the individual cloves. Cut about 1/2" off the top of the bulb, and coat generously with olive oil, allowing the oil to get inside the cloves.
3. Cover the garlic top tightly with tin foil and roast in oven for 40 minutes or until cloves are soft. After second rise of dough, roll and stretch the ball into a round or rectangular shaped crust. Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon sugar. Add onions to pan, and simmer, stirring occasionally, over very low heat for about 40 minutes, until the onions are caramel colored.
4. While the onions and the garlic are going, mix the softened cream cheese with enough yogurt to give it a soft, creamy texture. When the garlic is finished roasting, carefully remove, and squeeze the bulbs out of their individual skins with a fork. Mash and combine with cream cheese/yogurt mixture.
5. To assemble, Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Spread the cream cheese/yogurt/garlic mixture over the crust. Cover with caramelized onions. Sprinkle with pecans and olives. Bake on a pizza stone for 8-10 minutes, until crust is just slightly golden. Then transfer to a cutting board, let cool five minutes, and slice.