1/3 cup sherry cooking wine
1/4 cup tamari (low sodium soy sauce)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root
1/2 teaspoon ground peppercorn mélange, divided (black, white, red and green peppercorns)
2 medium sized zucchini, sliced thinly
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 scallions, chopped 1/4"
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. For zucchini marinade, combine the sherry, tamari, garlic, and ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of the ground peppercorns in a dish. Place the zucchini slices into the marinade.
2. Cover tightly, and shake side to side so the marinade covers all of the zucchini; set aside. Place 4 appetizer plates into the freezer. In a very small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt.
3. Heat grill pan over a medium flame and brush on some vegetable oil when the pan is hot. Do not let the pan smoke at any point before cooking.
4. Place the pieces of zucchini on the grill and cook the zucchini on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes each side will do. You don't want to fully cook this or it will be too mushy and hard to plate.
5. Remove the plates from the freezer and lay 3 slices grilled zucchini, side by side, on each cold plate. Drizzle about a tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar mixture onto the plated zucchini. Garnish by sprinkling some sesame seeds, scallions, and remaining pepper on each plated appetizer.
Serve and listen for the "ooohs" and ahhhs"! This is a very elegant looking plated appetizer. It is not very rich in color, so you may decide to use a colorful plate to present this, or use some finely diced red or yellow pepper as a garnish.