4 slices vegan bread, toasted
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 pound extra firm tofu, drained
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
seasoning salt, to taste (I use Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt)
1 1/2 to 2 cups plain nondairy milk (I use light soy)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 small onion, minced, optional
2 slices vegan cheese, torn into small bits (I like Tofutti American flavor)
sweet paprika, for dusting
1. Spread margarine on toasted bread. Throw it onto 2 plates, or 4, depending on how many you're serving. In a small/medium glass bowl, break up tofu until you have pieces that look like scrambled eggs.
2. Add turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoning salt, to taste. In another medium bowl, whisk the milk and flour together until very well blended. Pour flour mixture into a small pot and start heating on medium heat.
3. Stir the pot constantly with a whisk or fork to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom, and that the mixture does not boil! Continue heating over medium heat until the mixture is thick, like a thick gravy.
4. Fry the onion (if using) in a pan with nonstick spray or some veggie oil, if desired, until soft and starting to brown. Add scrambled tofu, and cook until it starts to "fry" and turn golden, and all the water is sweated out.
5. Add cheese. Scramble until mixed in. Top the 4 slices of toast evenly with the "egg" mixture, then drizzle the cream on top of it. Dust generously with sweet paprika, and serve.
Seriously, the memories this recipe brings back. My mom always made this on special weekends when we were kids, and her mom made it for her. It looks downright nasty, but it really is delish.
Source of recipe: I had a craving for it this morning, so I created this. She'd always used soft cooked or hard boiled eggs, so I figured that scrambled tofu had to work for this. I hope you like it! From my heart, to yours.