1 teaspoon maple syrup or alternative
2 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon dried yeast
5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Dissolve maple syrup in the boiling water. Once the mixture has cooled to be slightly warm to the touch, sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit until frothy, approximately 10 minutes; do not stir.
2. Add flour and salt. Knead well to form a soft dough. Cover and rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
3. Punch down the dough and divide into 12 to 15 balls. Roll each ball out on a floured surface, keeping a round shape as much as possible, until dough is approx 1/4" thick. Rise on ungreased, lightly floured oven trays for 20 minutes.
4. Turn carefully and rise another 25 minutes. Preheat oven to a little over 400 degrees F.
5. Bake for approximately 8 minutes. Wrap in a tea towel to cool.