1 onion, chopped
vegetable oil to sauté
3-4 cubes veggie bullion
8 cups water or veggie broth
3-4 veggie sausage links, chopped (I used Boca)
1-2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 bag (16 oz) dry black eyed peas
1 cup brown rice
salt/pepper/seasoning to taste
It's a tradition to eat Hoppin John on New Year's Day for good luck. I veganized the traditional recipe.
1) Sauté the onion with the oil and bullion.
2) Add the water or broth, the juice from the canned tomatoes (but not the tomatoes yet) and the sausages. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
3) Wash and strain the peas. Add them to the simmering mixture and simmer for 90 minutes.
4) Next, add the rice and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the rice is done.
5) Add the tomatoes very last and heat for just 5 more minutes.
6) Add salt/pepper/seasoning to taste.