2 (12 ounce) boxes firm tofu, frozen, thawed and drained (I use Mori Nu)
salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, julienned
1 (8 ounce) box mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded, optional
1 1/2" ginger, diced or shredded
1 medium orange, juice and zest
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1. Set tofu on end and cut horizontally down middle, lay flat and cut in 1/2, and each 1/2 to 8 so you get a total of 36 pieces from the 2 boxes. Salt and pepper the tofu.
2. Put large pan or wok over medium high heat. Add oil. Sauté tofu until light golden brown on each side. Pull out and set aside on paper towel. Add onions and sauté until translucent and starting to get light brown.
3. Add mushrooms and sauté for a couple minutes. Add jalapenos, garlic, ginger, orange zest and stir a couple times. Move everything to the side of pan. Deglaze pan with vinegar and orange juice.
4. Add diced tomatoes, BBQ sauce, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. Mix well. Bring to a simmer. Add tofu and bring back to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes with lid on. Occasionally stir gently as not to break tofu.
5. Taste sauce and adjust salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes longer to reduce sauce.
I like to serve over Jasmine rice, or I will hydrate some rice noodles with veggie broth and sesame oil for flavor. If you want more veggies, steam some broccoli and place on top.'