1 tablespoon cooking oil, divided
1 onion, sliced into rings
cumin, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh spinach
1 cup red enchilada sauce, divided
1 cup green chili enchilada sauce, divided
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
10-12 corn tortillas
nutritional yeast, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a frying pan on medium-low heat. Add onion and allow them to slowly caramelize while preparing the rest of the dish.
2. In a large pot over medium-low heat, add the other 1/2 tablespoon oil with the cumin, roasting until the cumin is fragrant. Add the garlic and the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted, turning down heat if necessary to avoid overcooking.
3. Add 1/2 the red and green enchilada sauces and the garbanzo beans, and heat until warmed through. Once the onions are well-caramelized, remove them from the pan and set aside.
4. Place the remainder of the red and green enchilada sauces into the frying pan and heat them until slightly bubbling, then dip tortillas one at a time to soften them slightly. Remove tortillas quickly and fill them with the spinach-garbanzo filling, then roll up and place into baking dish. Repeat until all tortillas are used.
5. If there is any leftover spinach-garbanzo mixture, distribute it over the top of the enchiladas in the dish. Now distribute the caramelized onions over top of the enchiladas, and pour over the remainder of the enchilada sauce. Place in oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until nicely browned and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.