1 Large onion, diced
3 Medium potatoes, diced
2 Cups diced rutabaga (or turnip, I prefer rutabaga)
1 Roasted red bell pepper, finely minced
1 Clove garlic, finely minced
1.5 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 tablespoon hungarian sweet paprika
2 Quarts vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon corn starch, disolved in 1/2 cup COLD water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1) Saute the diced onion in the olive oil until translucent.
2) Add the paprika, stir for 1 minute.
3) Add garlic, saute for 2 minutes more.
4) Add this mixture to the vegetable broth.
5) Add the diced potatoes & rutabaga, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.
6) After simmering for 25 minutes (NOT boiling), add the corn starch mixture to thicken.
This recipe is based on my grandmothers which used beef and beef broth. Its absolutely delicious, and on a cold day, I'll eat a large bowl of this with vegan bread for dipping into it. As a variation, one can remove 12 oz of vegetable broth, and add 12 ounces of dark vegan beer. Adding 2 diced parsnips is also a nice variation, if one likes them.