1 (2 ounce) box vegan mushroom and onion soup mix (2 packets)
7 cups water
1/2 cup Bragg's liquid aminos
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
6 cloves garlic, divided (5 minced and 1 smashed)
2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced thinly
4 tablespoons vegan margarine, divided
1 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
dash sea salt
1 baguette (I use one covered with poppyseeds, anise, and sesame seeds)
1. In a large stewing pot, combine the water and soup mix. Set on high to bring to a boil. Add the Bragg's, red wine vinegar, and 4 cloves minced garlic. Add the mushrooms slowly and allow to simmer on medium high, stiring frequently.
2. In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon margarine, onion, remaining garlic, and sea salt. Bring to temperature at medium-high and saute until carmely brown. While they are cooking, slice the baguette in half horizontally, and then vetically on a diagonal to achieve the sandwich size you desire.
3. Check the mushrooms in the simmer pot. If they are soft and pliable, reduce heat. If not, continue simmering. Once mushrooms reach desired consistency, strain them from the broth. (I use a large tea strainer) Preheat broiler. Place the mushrooms into the skillet with the onions and let rest over medium high to lightly brown the mushrooms.
4. Spread the remaining margarine over the vegan bread pieces, following with a rub from the smashed garlic clove. When lightly browned, remove the mushroom and onion mixture from the skillet to a plate or bowl. Broil the vegan bread in the oven.
5. Pour the broth into small bowls and place on plates. (This will allow the broth to cool to a palatable temperature.) When the vegan bread is completed, spread as much of the mushroom mixture over the bottom piece of vegan bread as you can. Immediately place the top piece on the sandwich. Serve with broth.
A salad would be a great side dish for this entree!