2 to 3 large cucumbers, peeled
2 cups mung bean sprouts
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
several splashes to 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (no, really, it works!)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 to 4 cups fresh pea greens or other leafy sprout (optional)
4 to 5 water chestnuts, peeled (if fresh) and chopped
1. Slice cucumber lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut each piece in half, again lengthwise, and slice these strips into bite sized pieces. Place in a large sealable bowl with mung bean sprouts.
2. Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, black bean sauce, garlic, Tabasco sauce, and pepper.
3. Pour dressing over cucumber-mung bean mixture. Put the lid on the container and shake it to coat.
4. Marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight, shaking it whenever you think of it.
5. Just before serving, add the pea greens and water chestnuts. Shake the whole thing together again.