1 pound (454 g) Petes Tofu Italian extra-firm
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil OR 4 teaspoon dried
juice of one lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
1/4 cup (50 mL) soy parmesan
1/4 cup (50 mL) VeganRella, shredded (or similar vegan cheese) + extra for top (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 package of dry manicotti or cannelloni shells, uncooked
1 large jar (700 mL) of your favorite pasta sauce
Make your own Italian tofu by mixing:
1 pound (454 g) extra firm tofu, crumbled (use firm if you desire a smooth filling)
1 cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, parsley, tarragon, dill, etc.)
red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F.
1. Using a food processor or electric beaters, pulse together tofu, basil, lemon juice, soy parmesan, vegan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend until mixture resembles small crumbs. (For a smoother filling, use firm tofu, instead of extra-firm).
2. Spray a 9x13/8 L (or larger) casserole dish with non-stick spray or oil lightly. Pour 1/2 of pasta sauce into the dish and set aside. Using a small spoon, fill the DRY manicotti with the tofu mixture. Place your thumb over the bottom hole or fill with the bottom against the bowl to prevent the filling from falling out. After filling, lay gently in casserole dish horizontally.
A 9x13 dish will fit approximately 12 shells. Either freeze and reuse extra filling, or prepare a small baking pan with sauce as directed above and bake alongside.
3. After shells have been filled, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of water to the remaining pasta sauce and shake. Pour over shells. If shells are not sufficiently covered by sauce, add a small amount of water. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Uncover and spread remaining vegan cheese over top (if using) and bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
5. Let stand for a few minutes to allow filling to set and enjoy!