Veggies: 6 carrots, 5 parsnips, 4 turnips, 3 potatoes, 1 large onion
Sauce: 8 cups veg. buillion, 1/2 cup red wine, 4 oz. tomato paste, 28 oz. can whole plum tomatoes in puree, 1/4 cup flour, 4 tablespoon olive oil
Herbs & Spices: 1 tablespoon Adobo salt, 1 teaspoon dried sage, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 3 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, (alternative: rosemary, parsley, sage bouquet garnet), 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 bay leaves
1 lb seitan - drained and cut or torn into bite size chunks. Reserve liquid
1. Cut veggies (except onion) into bite size chunks, cover with water, set aside.
2. Pour flour, Adobo, cayenne, and black pepper into a large plastic bag and shake to mix. Add seitan and shake well to cover. Set aside.
3. Pour plum tomatoes into a bowl and cut into quarter.
4. Chop onion into large pieces and saute in a large pot in 2 tablespoon olive oil for 3-5 minutes, or until soft.
5. Add seitan, remaining 2 tablespoon of olive oil and any loose flour from bag and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Scrape bottom of pot to dislodge any of the mixture.
6. Slowly stir in the reserved seitan liquid, tomato puree (but not tomatoes), and vegan wine and saute 3-5 minutes or until reduced by half.
8. Slowly add the vegetable buillion stirring constantly with a wisk to maintain thickness.
9. Drain and add vegetables to sauce along with plum tomatoes, tomato paste, and remaining herbs and spices.
10. Bring stew to a boil, mixing occasionally.
11. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for one hour, or until vegetables are well cooked, but still firm.
Serve piping hot with pumpernickel bread!