1/2 lemon, juice of
1/2 lime, juice of
1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup (optional)
2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
3 cups water
1 cup quick cooking barley
1/3 cup raisins
1 to 2 cups sliced strawberries, cut into small wedges
1 sweet apple, cut into thin slices (I use gala)
5 apricot halves, cut into slivers
4 to 5 fresh mint leaves, torn into small pieces
lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
lime zest, for garnish (optional)
1. Dressing: In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, lime juice, and agave nectar; whisk until well incorporated. Whisk in brown sugar.
2. Salad: In a pot, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add barley; cover, lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until done (still slightly chewy, kind of like aldente pasta). Add raisins in the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain, set aside, and allow to cool.
3. In a bowl, combine barley, strawberries, apple, apricot, and mint; mix thoroughly.
4. Pour dressing over salad (make sure the apple slices are covered!!).
5. Chill for 1 hour or overnight (it's much better overnight) before serving. Garnish with lemon and lime zests.
This salad is so wonderful! It has a depth of flavor that reminds me of summer in the Bahamas, and the barley gets a pretty pink color from the strawberries.