1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans (cook and drain) or use 1 1/2 cups canned
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley
egg substitute equivalent to one egg (I often just leave this out although it sticks
1 tablespoon miso (any-white/red/your choice)
1 teaspoon salt
dash of hot sauce
2 pinches cayenne pepper (for the kids I leave the hot stuff out)
1 cup vegan cheese (Swiss maybe or hot pepper)
I really wanted to share this recipe with you all as it has become a holiday favorite in our family for many years. We are three generations of vegetarians when we gather for Thanksgiving! My parents are vegan and so am I. I've been vegetarian for 43 years and vegan for the past 6. My parents have been vegetarians forever and they are both in their 70s (in great shape I might add!!)
1. Combine bread crumbs with pineapple juice, let soak.
2. Mash the beans but leave a few whole!
3. Saute onions and celery in the oil.
4. Dissolve miso in a very small amount of hot water, to make a thick slurry.
5. Combine rest of ingredients in order.
6. Turn into loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes until browned and firm.
I always double or triple this recipe for a large holiday meal so that we will have leftovers! I hope this become a favorite in your home!