5 tablespoons margarine, softened
1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour)
1/3 cup turbinado sugar (or other dry vegan sweetener)
1/2 cup water
2 cups whole-kernel corn (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons unflavored soy milk
1. Mix together the vegan margarine, masa harina, and vegan sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
2. In a food processor or blender, blend one cup of the corn kernels with the water and cornmeal just until smooth. Stir into the masa mixture.
3. Add the remaining corn, and the baking powder, salt, and milk. Mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Pour into a glass 8x8 baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and place it over a saucepan of simmering water. Steam for 50-60 minutes or until firm (it won't be firm the way a custard is, but cooked through--no watery spots).
5. Stir the spoon bread before serving to give it a consistent texture. Serve in small scoops.
Modifications: Substituting molasses for the turbinado sugar gives it a great color and flavor, but if you're using any kind of liquid sweetener, decrease the water by a few tablespoons or it won't cook through.
For quicker preparation, this can be prepared in the microwave. Microwave the batter on a low setting (~30% power) for 7 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes, and then on a high setting for 3 minutes, stirring every 1 minute. Settings and times may vary--play with it. As with the stovetop steaming method, cook it until its not soupy like the batter but thick and cooked through.