1 bunch of kale
1 lime, zest and juice
2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar
Salt and pepper
1 sweet apple such as Pink Lady, cut into small pieces
2 avocados, cut into chunks
Handful of walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Toast the chopped walnuts either under the grill or on the stove in a small frying pan. There is no need to use oil. Just keep an eye on the walnuts so they do not burn. Set the toasted walnuts aside on a plate to cool.
2. Wash and remove the stalks and ridges from the kale then thinly slice. It is easy to slice the kale if you roll it up first.
3. Put the kale in a big bowl and add one of the avocados and the juice of half the lime.
4. Now with clean hands gentle massage the avocado and lime into the kale for a few minutes until the kale feels tender.
5. Toss in the lime zest, apple, pomegranate vinegar, and walnuts.
6.Season with salt and pepper.
7. If you are serving this kale salad to guests tip it into a pretty, clean bowl. Massaged kale salad is delicious accompanied with chunks of whole grain bead.