2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed in bowl
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 medium sized potato, cubed and boiled
1/2 cup onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Lemon Tahini Sauce
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the flax egg by combining 2 tablespoons ground flax meal with 3 tablespoons water in a bowl. Whisk, then place in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
3. Steam spinach for 4-5 minutes over 1-2 inches of simmering water. Remove from heat, reserving the water to boil your potato. Rinse spinach with cold water, then squeeze dry. Finely chop the spinach, then place it in a large bowl along with the quinoa.
4. Add the onion, garlic, flax egg, potato, flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, and pepper to the bowl of quinoa/spinach. Mix well to combine.
5. Shape into 10 patties and place on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, flip them over, then bake for another 10 minutes, until golden brown and firm.
7. While the patties are baking, prepare your sauce. Combine tahini, water, lemon juice, salt and garlic powder in bowl. Whisk, then pour into a jar so you can store leftovers.
8. To assemble, place quinoa burger patty in a whole wheat burger bun, add your favourite fresh toppings and pour lemon tahini sauce overtop.
Notes: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.