When I was a kid, I hated Labor Day. I didn't appreciate any of the amazing history behind it (you know, the whole fighting for our right to only work nine hours a day thing), and all I could think about was the fact that the following week, I had to return to school. It was a dark day, made slightly more tolerable by the last hurrah of a delicious Labor Day picnic. This year, my parents rented a house near the beach and my whole family is vacationing there for the week before the kids return to school. My niece, Joscelyn, refuses to wear anything but her swimsuit while my nefphew, Eric, can't be dragged away from his video games. They're both hanging onto their last shreds of freedom. I totally get it. To try to ease the pain of their transition from glorious summer to scary school year, I've been making some delicious picnic foods from VegWeb . We've got all the potato salads, veggie burgers, and cupcakes to make the last days of summer very sweet. Or at least something to look back on fondly while they're taking their first pop quizzes (remember those!?).
Check out some of our favorite Labor Day recipes on VegWeb:
- Southern Macaroni Salad 
- Tasty Tofu Kabobs 
- Black Bean Salad 
- Garbanzo Bean Burgers 
- The Best Peanut Butter Cookies 
- Scrumptious Vegan Pigs In a Blanket 
- Couscous Salad 
- Quinoa Salad Deliciousness 
- Crunchy Dill and "Sour Cream" Potato Bites 
- Take My Breath Away Burgers 
- Lemon Ginger Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling 
There is a really popular recipe on VegWeb called Amazing Potato Salad . And it lives up to its name, as it is a really amazing potato salad. It's the delicious picnic potato salad you grew up with but now it's ten times better because it's vegan! I do love this recipe but like any amateur chef, I had to make it my own and if I do say so myself, I've substantially raised the bar. Okay, it's possible I didn't because it's so darn good to begin with but you know, I have a big head when it comes to cooking (and also, I just have an anatomically large head, but that's another newsletter.) Either way, here's a variation on the recipe for when you feel like tossing things up. And with that, I present: Amazing Potato Salad, Remixed.
What You Need:
8 medium potatoes, washed and peeled
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/2 cup vegan French dressing
2 tablespoons yellow miso
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1 or 2 pickles, diced
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
What You Do:
1. Boil potatoes for about 25 minutes, or until soft. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes.
2. Cut potatoes into small cubes, and place in the fridge for about an hour to cool.
3. Make the dressing by combining the dijon mustard, vegan mayonnaise, vegan French dressing, miso, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
4. When potatoes are cool, place in a bowl or dish, and add the celery, onions, olives, and pickles. Pour the dressing mixture over the potatoes and stir. Sprinkle smoked paprika on top. Enjoy!