1 cup or more strawberries cut into small pieces
1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
1 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Place cut up strawberries in small bowl
2. Add palm sugar.
3. Stir until palm sugar is dissolved.
4. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
5. When almost ready to serve, place chia seeds, almond milk & maple syrup in a blender (I use the Nutri Bullet.) or food processor.
6. Allow to sit 1 minute to start the thickening process of the chia seeds.
7. Blend for 1 - 2 minutes so that the chia seeds are broken down as much as possible.
8. Divide the strawberries between 2 dessert dishes.
9. Top each dish of strawberries with the chia cream topping.
Source of Recipe:
I have always loved fresh strawberries with Cool Whip topping. In addition to transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle, I found out that I should not eat soy due to a thyroid condition. Many of the vegan food substitutes have soy in them. For that reason, I was trying to create a faux topping that would taste good, have a creamy texture that would resemble whipped topping, and be soy-free. I think this satisfies my criteria. If other vegweb members have a soy-free whipped topping alternative, I would love to try it out.