You are here

Member since April 2003

Flax Seed Crackers

What you need: 

4 cups flax seeds, soaked for around 5 hours
1/2 cup Braggs Aminos
sprinkling of kelp granules (Sea Seasoning brand)

What you do: 

1. Put flax seeds in bowl with enough water to cover and put in fridge to soak. Add a little more water as the seed soak up the water (When ready the mixture will be a bit like gelatin).
2. Add the Braggs and kelp and mix thoroughly.
3. Put teaspoon to tablespoon mounds onto a cookie tray and spread thinly over the surface.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Feel surface to see if it is dry, and then flip over and cook for another 20 minutes.
Enjoy with pate!!
Note: Dont omit the kelp because it adds a wonderful sea flavor.

Preparation Time: 
5 hour soak, 1 hour cook, 3 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
2-4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made this a couple weeks ago and have been meaning to review it since then. This makes a LOT of crackers! I filled a huge cookie sheet, and apparently I don't eat that many crackers, b/c I just finished them last night. So maybe start with a half recipe for your first time. I had no troubles with ratio of water to flax-- just soaked in plenty of water, then poured off the excess, of which there was only a bit. Then added dulse (didn't have kelp) and Braggs, and voila! Easy stuff.

I didn't line the cookie sheet anything, but next time I'll put my silpat down. It only stuck a teeny bit, but no sense in making it harder than it has to be, right?

0 likes

Baypuppy: When you dehydrate these, how do you do it? Do you just spread it in the tray and leave it for the day (or two or how long)? Do you put anything under it (like parchment) or will it come out easily? Sorry for the inquisition--I've had a dehydrator for months, but I've been too afraid to use it.

0 likes
Anonymous

Hey, I baked those puddles for fully twice as long as the recipe prescribed; it did nothing for their status as puddles.  I shall ask for the record then, is the cooking temperature in celsius, or farenheit?

0 likes
Anonymous

"Crackers" is less accurate, than "inedible puddles of goop."  A novel recipe in theory, but in practice, a good way to waste a lot of time and flax.

Specify a quantity of water, please, because I tried this recipe precisely to your specifications, and it was an irredeemably gluey failure.

0 likes