You are here

Member since April 2003

Lobia (Black-eyed Peas in Ginger and Tamarind Sauce)

What you need: 

1 cup dried black-eyed peas
2 teaspoon grated ginger root
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1-2 green chilis, chopped
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
2/3 cup sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
2-3 tablespoon cilantro leaves

What you do: 

Rinse and soak beans for a couple of hours in at least 3 1/2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring beans to a boil over medium heat, add half the ginger, the chili powder, and the tumeric. Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook slowly for 45-50 minutes Add remaining ginger, chilis, tamarind pulp, mix it well and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, SLOWLY dryfry onion to gradually carmelize it, as it begins to color add cumin seeds and garlic (add a little H2O to prevent burning if necessary). Remove pan from heat just as garlic darkens. Pour mixture into beans, together with Garam masala, stir and cook another 5 minutes. Before serving, stir in cilantro leaves and serve hot.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Only sub I made was red chilis instead of green.  Oh and I added some salt.  The first bite I took really underwhelmed me because I found it spicy instead of flavourful and the beans surrounded by a thin broth, but after adding some salt and roughly smooshing some of the beans to thicken it up I found it quite decent.  I'd like to try making it again with a diced tomato and some chopped veggies.

0 likes

:D Out of this world!!!!!!!  :D
I've been waiting to try this recipe for quite some time, and I'm so glad I finally got around to it!! I made a double batch, adding a few shots of sambel olek for pep, and it turned out beautifully!
As I prefer not to use the liquid the beans has been cooking in (because it gets all smelly and black), I cooked up the sauce in another saucepan. After I fried the onions I threw in some cauliflower, half an Indian eggplant, and 3/4 cup of tomato sauce that had all the spices, chilis, garlic, and ginger mixed into it. After adding some water I let the sauce cook until the eggplant and cauliflower were soft and then poured it over the (drained and rinsed) black eyed peas and cooked for another 15 mins on medium.
I will DEFINITELY be having this again!! Next time I'm adding Okra for sure, and maybe a few more spicy chilis because I like my food so spicy I cry while I eat it (tears of joy!! ;D).
Thank you so much for a lovely recipe  :)

0 likes