You are here

Member since April 2003

Tom Kha Soup

What you need: 

2 medium eggplants
4 teaspoons salt
12 ounces silken firm tofu
6 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce, divided
4 cups (14 ounces) coconut milk (light is ok)
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
6 slices galangal root (similar to ginger)
3-4 stalks lemon grass, chopped
5 spicy chilis, chopped, divided
5 kaffir lime leaves
2 limes, juiced
2 sprigs cilantro, optional

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Halve the eggplants lengthways and sprinkle salt to remove the bitter taste. After 30 minutes, peel the skins off the eggplant and then lightly wash off the eggplant, removing the salt. Cube eggplant into 1/2 to 1" squares. Do the same with the tofu.
2. Lightly oil the bottom of a glass pan and place the eggplant on the bottom and the tofu on the top. Lightly sprinkle the tofu with 2 tablespoons Bragg's or soy sauce. Place in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. You know when it is done when the tofu starts to brown.
3. In large sauce pan, place coconut milk, vegetable stock, galangal root pieces, lemon grass and 4 chilis. Bring to boil while stirring occasionally. After the mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. After the mixture has been simmering for 20 minutes, strain the contents into another bowl. You are trying to get the chilis, galanga root, and lemon grass out while retaining as much liquid as possible. Return the liquid to the sauce pan. Add the eggplant and tofu mixture. Bring back up to a boil, stirring occasionally.
5. After the everything starts to boil, add 4 tablespoons Bragg's or soy sauce, Kaffir lime leaves, remaining chili, and lime juice. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro.
Enjoy.

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Fast to prepare & very delicious.  When making this dish I used 9 chiles--red, orange and green.  3 of these chilis I added after the simmering stage and left in for flavour.  I recommend using juice from 4 limes, 4 tablespoons of premium soy sauce, and cut up garlic cloves.  For veggies I used broccoli and 1 Thai Tomato.  Also, I added 5 1/4 inch sliced pieces of the galanga root so that flavour would pop.  Oh, and I used 19 oz of coconut milk.  The tofu is far more scrumptious if lightly friend.  I also slightly sauteed the onions to balance their sharp flavour.

Serving wise, this serves 1 or 1.5.  Double to accommodate 2 - 3 people.  At least triple it for 4 or more.

0 likes

this is dinner tonight. i'm going to add mushrooms, broccoli and bamboo shoots. can't wait!

0 likes