1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
dash ground cloves
salt, to taste

What you do: 

1. Cover bottom of saucepan with vegetable oil. Fry onion about 5 minutes.
2. Add cilantro and continue frying over medium heat, until onion is golden.
3. Add tomato and let it get a little soft. Add rest of ingredients, including spices, and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
This is really tasty atop a bed of basmati rice.

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

easily the best recipe that i've ever found on vegweb THANK YOU

0 likes

This is great and the only change I make is to add 2 cans of diced tomaoes instead of the other tomato ingreients. Thanks for the great recipe!

0 likes

This was seriously my very FIRST attempt at cooking in YEARS.  Seriously.  And, my meat-loving, never-tried-indian-food family LOVED it.  This recipe was easy and very versatile...you can really just use what you have.  Because I was getting over a stomach bug, I didn't use cayenne, but that's what I really wish I would have added.  It needed an extra kick.  Also, next time, I'm gonna add some cooked spinach.  Yum yum yum!!!  ;)b

0 likes

I've reviewed this already but I wanted to reiterate that it is made of magic.  :)>>>

0 likes

It was sooo good! Thanks for posting. I didn't use the cayenne because I didn't want it to be really spicy and I didn't really measure it out very well, I just went according to taste and it still turned out well. Once again, thank you!

0 likes

Whould anyone recommend substituting green peas for the lentils .....just as a variation?

0 likes

this had WAY more flavor that i thought it would, especially since it was a little thick and the lentils weren't cooking properly, so i kept adding water to it. i added the spices as recommended, and then added a tablespoon of mustard seed in with the onions,  some extra cayenne and a dash or two of garam masala.  next time i might add some garlic too, although i didn't really miss it.

yum yum yum...

0 likes

AMAZING!  I loved it!  I've been trying different Indian dishes for a few weeks now and this is the one I was looking for.  I had no idea that the secret was coconut milk! 

0 likes

This is excellent. I LOVE it. I will definitely be making this again!

0 likes

This recipe is so delicious.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  Simple and satisfying.  It's going to become a staple in my house.

0 likes

Pages