You are here

Member since April 2003

Greek Potatoes

What you need: 

5 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped in large chunks
1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 bulb chopped garlic (adjust amount to your taste)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
olive oil
salt to taste

What you do: 

Place all ingredients in corningware or other deep baking dish with cover and mix to coat. There should be reserve oil at bottom of dish. Bake at 375 degrees, basting with oil frequently, until potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Awesome

0 likes

my greek husband says it needs black pepper... and lots of it! otherwise spot on.  definitely use lemon rind too!

1 like

Perfect!

0 likes

excellent recipe. taste just like my greek mother in law cookes them. yummy!!!  ;D

0 likes

Oh! I almost forgot.  I also only used 1 tbsp. oil.  I just tossed them a couple times during the cooking and sprayed them with some non-stick spray, and they were perfect.  I don't like a lot of oil and the tbsp was plenty.  Just don't let them cook too long in between tossing. 

0 likes

These were good and a nice change for someone who eats a lot of roasted potatoes.  I've done lots of different spices, but never used lemon juice.  I used 1/4 cup lemon juice for 3 potatoes, and next time I'll probably cut back. They were a bit too tangy, it overpowered the other seasonings.  I was thinking of doing 3 tbs. lemon juice and maybe 1 or 2 tbs veggie broth.  I will definately add some grated lemon peel next time!  Without it the potatoes are just tangy, you can't really tell it's lemon juice, but with it...mmmm.  I also used 2-1/2 cloves garlic, which might have been a bit too much unless you like'em garlicky!  But man, my house was stinky!  But overall they were definately good, and I will be making them again.  I think in addition to lemon peel, I'm going to throw in some artichoke hearts, tomatoes and capers.  I'll report on that later.  Thanks for the recipe.

1 like

My husband says these are the best potatoes he's ever had!  They seem to be infused with lemon juice...and very moist but not greasy.

0 likes