2 vegan bouillon cubes, crushed or 2 tablespoon veggie soup base
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 small can of diced pineapple in juice, undrained
olive oil for cooking
tamari to taste
cooked brown rice or noodles

What you do: 

Heat olive oil in a pan (about 1-2 tablespoons), add cubed tofu and cook until golden on all sides.
While the tofu is cooking, prepare the veggies and sauce.
To make the sauce: in a mixing bowl, dissolve the cornstarch into the vinegar. Add tomato paste, bouillon, sesame oil and vegan brown sugar. Mix well. Next, add the can of pineapple along with the juice and mix well again.
After the tofu is cooked, remove it from the pan and put the pan back on the heat. Add the peppers, celery and carrots to the pan and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes until tender-crisp. Add the tofu back in and cook for two minutes. Lower heat to medium and add the sauce. Stir until it boils and starts to thicken. When it reaches the consistency you want, remove from heat. Serve over brown rice or noodles with tamari to taste.

Preparation Time: 
30 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I pretty much followed this recipe exactly except I baked my tofu instead of frying it -  I baked it for about 15mins while I was prepping the rest of the dish (can't remember the temp of the oven but it medium-ish!).  I also used less bell pepper than called for as my bf is not too keen on it.  I put in some mushrooms because they go into everything I make, and some courgette as it needed using up.

This recipe was very easy to make and really tasty.  It tasted like the local chinese take away, but better!!  I really liked the way the sweet tasste came from the pineapple and its juice.
I will definitely make this again - maybe with seitan next time!

A very yummy recipe - thank you.

0 likes