1 large eggplant - thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion - wedged
5 cloves garlic - minced
1 red pepper - diced
1 large carrot- shredded
2 zucchini - halved and sliced
1 lb (500 gram) mushrooms - sliced
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup sliced green olives (I like the marinated kind)
16 oz can whole or diced tomatoes
1 cup favorite pasta sauce
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 cup fresh basil, oregano, or marjoram (dried will work too)

What you do: 

Thinly slice eggplant, place single layer on oil-sprayed pan sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, and broil for 5-10 minutes watching closely and flipping once.
Heat a large pan on medium. Add onion and garlic, saute in a small quantity of choice liquid. When onion is transparent add the rest of the vegetables except spinach (any combination will work, whatever you fancy. Cook until just slightly tender and most of the liquid evaporated. Add canned tomatoes and herbs. Cook another 3-5 minutes.
Coat the bottom of the lasagna pan with a little tomato sauce/vegetable liquid. Add a layer of broiled eggplant (should be crispy but not burnt). Top with sautéed vegetables, fresh spinach, eggplant, vegetables, etc. When layers run out, spread tomato/pasta sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese if you desire. Bake uncovered at 350F for 35 minutes.
Serve with pasta, couscous, mixed salad greens, or crusty vegan bread.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is really good but it needed more sauce.  I also added tofu so that may have been why it needed more sauce.  This is a keeper.  Thank you! :)

0 likes

I thought this recipe was excellent.  I also added some soft tofu and omitted the olives.  I used more pasta sauce, I think the jar was 27 oz. and used fresh tomatoes instead of canned.  Other than that, I kept everything else the same.  My meat eating bf and I ate about half the pan when it was done!

0 likes

I thought this was fabulous.  I put some tofu in the food processor with boxed tomatoes and it gave it a ricotta cheese taste, plus extra protein.  Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes