1/4 cup margarine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup onion, chopped (I like green)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or anaheim pepper, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup vegetable broth or bouillon cube + 1 cup water
1/4 cup sliced olives
vegan parmesan, to taste, optional (I use soymage)

What you do: 

1. Start water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. Put carrots and broccoli in steamer (I like the microwave). Steam until bright green (3-5 minutes). Add zucchini and mushrooms and steam 2-3 more minutes.
2. Take off heat let cool a tad, then add tomatoes. You're not cooking them, just heating them to bring out the flavor. They should retain their shape and sweetness. Use the pasta pot to melt the margarine.
3. Saute the garlic and onions and pepper in the margarine. Add spices. Add the vegetable broth and reduce to concentrate flavors. This isn't going to make a saucy sauce, its going to enhance the flavor of the vegetables.
4. When reduced down to about 1/2, pop the pasta, olives, and other veggies into the pot and toss in the sauce. Add vegan parmesan, if desired. Serve with a crusty vegan bread or salad.
Mmm! Surprisingly flavorful, but does not overwhelm the veggies. Light, and fresh tasting. Can be reheated or eaten cold the next day.

Preparation Time: 
20 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Mmmm. This was delicious. Other times that I have tried simple sauces like this I have pretty much failed, but this tastes wonderful. The only changes I made were to use yellow squash instead of carrots, and to omit the olives. I will definitely make this again :) Thank you!

0 likes