You are here

Member since April 2003

UnChicken Ala King

What you need: 

16 oz. vegan mock chicken (strips, or patties thawed and chopped into chunks)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (or one can)
1 cup carrots (whole baby or chopped)
2-3 tablespoons soy margarine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
4 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon celery salt
pinch of sage
salt and pepper
2-3 cups water and/or soy milk
2 tablespoons soy sauce

What you do: 

I concocted this recipe when trying to think of something to go with leftover mashed potatoes. I actually just eyeballed the seasonings - you should change them according to your taste. Other vegetables like corn, celery, or green beans might be good in here too.
1. In a large frying pan, sauté the vegan mock chicken in half the vegan margarine until it begins to brown. Add the peas and simmer until they begin to thaw. Add the carrots. Cover and leave to simmer over low heat.
2. Combine the flour, yeast, and spices in a mixing bowl.
3. In a saucepan, begin to heat the olive oil, then sprinkle in the flour mixture while whisking or stirring continually. When it is just mixed, add the soy sauce and water/soy milk *slowly*, still stirring. Continue stirring until the sauce *just* boils (add more water as necessary if it gets too thick or lumpy).
4. Pour gravy into the frying pan over the vegetables & chicken. Stir and allow to simmer for about a minute, or until sauce begins to bubble.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, dumpling-style noodles, or farfalle.

Preparation Time: 
20 mins
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I'm going to refrain from rating the recipe, b/c I only used it as a starting point. I really wanted to make some casseroles to have leftovers for lunches, and I wanted to use tofu...and some of my fresh white corn, so that's what I did! I think I might even submit the recipe that I came up with (with inspiration from lots of other VW recipes!). Mmmmmm.  :)

0 likes