1 cup flour or bread crumbs, for coating
garlic powder, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika, to taste
parsley, to taste
1/2 teaspoon vegan sugar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric for yellow color, optional

What you do: 

1. Drain water from tofu, then smash it. Place between two cutting boards or whatever you have, and use a towel to soak up the water until tofu is about 1/2"thick. Really smoosh all the water out!
2. Mix all the spices and sugar with the flour. Carefully take the tofu apart where it naturally is too thin to hold together; it's like strips. Make sure tofu is very cold before rolling in flour.
3. Roll cold tofu in flour and spice mixture then let it sit on a plate (very important) and molecularly bond with the flour for 15 minutes-1 hour.
4. Fry in oil until crispy and browned.
It's great with any dipping sauce! I served it with mashed potatoes and artichokes. I bet you could bake it at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, turning a couple times carefully. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: This recipe is courtesy of a wonderful accident! I froze the soft silken tofu, when it defrosted all the water just oozed out, I kept squeezing (cause it was kinda fun) and the resulting flattened square looked like something I could tear into strips. I thought the silken soft tofu wouldn't work for meat substitutes, but this is why it is so good! I don't want to be running off at the mouth but this recipe is more technique than ingredients.

Preparation Time: 
30 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
3-4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I used soft silken tofu, as stated in the directions, and this didn't work for me at all. The tofu came out why too mushy (despite the freezing, thawing, and squeezing) and, although I baked it with some oil in the oven instead of frying it, it was pretty soaked with oil. However, I served this marinated "fish"-style, according to another recipe on this website (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=14902.0), added tartar sauce, and my husband liked it a lot. Maybe, next time, I should use firm silken tofu, or just regular tofu.

0 likes

I used medium hard tofu so I wouldnt have to freeze and defrost it. It worked out and didnt fall apart like a lot of people been complaining about. But I cut them wayyy to thick and I guess I didnt add enough seasoning since I was to scared it would be to strong. What I did was baked 4 slices of bread at 350 for about 30 mins and then put them in the blender until they were dust like. then I added 3 table spoons of flour to the bread crumbs,salt,pepper,garlic powder,paprika and shook it all in a bag. Then I dipped the tofu in milk and then the batter. I baked it for a hour on 350. I should of sprayed the foil or something because the tofu stuck to it. Next time i'm going to try lemon pepper and! I also made garlic mashed potatoes with vegan gravy and corn.  My bf loved it since he loves the taste of tofu. Thats all it tasted like pretty much since i didnt add enough seasoning. Hopefully next time it wont taste so plain.

0 likes

yum, I always come back to this recipe

0 likes

This did not turn out just like chicken strips for me.
It was just like a disaster. I'm sure it was my fault.

0 likes

Love love love this recipe! It's very versatile, and is now my go to recipe when craving something southern fried. I used firm tofu, wrapped in a dishcloth, and placed a heavy board over it for about 1 hour until it was flat and dry.
For  AMAZING  fried "catfish", I  followed the freeze and thaw  directions as posted, cut the tofu into 1/2 strips,  placed them in lemon juice and refrigerated for 15 minutes.  I  gently pressed the strips into a shallow  plate of Zatarain's Crispy Southern Style Fish Fri, making sure to coat all sides twice. I returned them to the fridge  for about half an hour,  and pan fried them in hot oil on both sides till crispy. Delicious!
I've also done  a chicken fried steak fingers dish my using a quick marinade of soy sauce and onion powder.I made a batch of cream gravy using about 3 tbs of the oil they were fried in, flour, and almond milk with lots of black pepper. Wonderful served with mashed potatoes.

0 likes

Left it in only 30 minutes so it's not completely dry.
Roomies have dubbed this recipe "Chish"--Texture's not quite chicken; not quite fish.

Panko makes it nice and crunchy.
It's yummy finger food.

0 likes

Simply amazing!  I used soft silken tofu from the Asian grocery store in Phoenix, AZ, and the results were outstanding!!  I froze then thawed the tofu in its original package.  I squeezed the water out and flattened the tofu on a plate, using paper towels and a smaller plate to smoosh down on the tofu.  I made my strips into "nuggets" instead, since I had to kind of press them into small little balls to hold them together well.  I let the nuggets then sit and bind with the flour and seasonings for 45 minutes.  I cooked them at medium high heat for about 7 minutes on each batch, with just three nuggets in the skillet at a time.  OUTSTANDING!  Best vegan recipe I've ever tried!  Definitely a crowning achievement!!!  ;D  ;)b :>  I served mine with tater tots and hot sauce and some honey mustard for the nuggets!  Also I served some home-made apple sauce on the side.  Tastiest meal I've had since going vegan!

0 likes

These were soooo good. The only thing is for them toactually taste like chicken, you have ti make them very very thin. If not it first tastes like chicken but then tastes like tofu and I hate the taste of tofu.
These are amazing in ketchup or even sweet and sour sauce. I had these with some sweet potato fries. If, you make fries and have some left over breading, put the breading over fries before frying...So good.

That you so much for this recipe! :>

0 likes

Ooh this was so wierd, I didn't think it was like chicken, but it was heaps like fish!!  Yummy!!  I just threw together my own little crumb mixture with cornflake crumbs, nutritional yeast and 'chik'n' stock powder, then pulled it into chunks as it was quite crumbly, chucked it in the crumbs then fried.  Yummy yum yum!!!  However, it only makes the tiniest amount, it was only snack size really, but I didn't mind, I wasn't super hungry and it definitely hit the spot!!!  Thank you!!!  :D

0 likes

i'm making these with tempeh, because i had some in the house and thought it might work, first time i've actually cooked tempeh, don't know how it will work out
i boiled it first, because i read somewhere that will reduce it's bitterness and i put a "chicken" stock cube in there, so maybe it will taste okay
/crosses fingers

0 likes

Pages