2 cups Redmill gluten flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Archived comment by: optional spices:
1tbs garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
2 teaspoon cumin
Braggs Liquid Aminos or other soy sauce to add salt

What you do: 

I have done a lot of experimenting to get the texture right, and this is what I have come up with.
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix completely. Add enough liquid that all the flour forms into a ball. knead until there are no dry spots.
Form into whatever shape is desired, I usually end up with 2 thick pancakes.
Put into a pot with boiling water. The seitan will initially sink. It will float to the top, and when it has sunk again, it is cooked and ready for use. This takes between 45 minutes to 1 1/3 hours depending on thickness, elevation and heat.

Preparation Time: 
1/2 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I think I may have done something horribly wrong  :-[.  Mine came out really poopy.  It tasted like rubber.  Seriously rubber.  There was no flavor but thats probably b/c I didn't add any spices but the texture was awful.  Any ideas what I did wrong b/c I still have enough gluton to give it another try.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7545.0

Make this  ;)b (use half the sugar in the broth though)

0 likes

I think I may have done something horribly wrong  :-[.  Mine came out really poopy.  It tasted like rubber.  Seriously rubber.  There was no flavor but thats probably b/c I didn't add any spices but the texture was awful.  Any ideas what I did wrong b/c I still have enough gluton to give it another try.

0 likes

I made this recipe yesterday and I was really happy with it. I put soy sauce and some veggie bullion cubes in the cooking liquid and I halved the recipe. It still made quite a bit. It puffed up to the size of my largest pot once it started boiling! Once it was done I cut it into little pieces and added it to a pot pie. Yum! 

0 likes

Could I just use whole wheat flour instead of the gluton to make this???

No. Get the gluten.

0 likes

Could I just use whole wheat flour instead of the gluton to make this???

0 likes
Anonymous

Good source of protein, not that hard to make, and versatile. The consistency is kind of like steak (I haven't had steak for 12 yrs but i cut it up for cats sometimes so I know what it feels like). Thx for the recipe.

0 likes

For those of you who fried you seitan....do you still have to boil it???  :-[  Sorry if this is a dumb question, i'm new to seitan making.

0 likes

Ok, i think i did something wrong.  Maybe i didn't knead it long enough, cause what I ended up with looked like huge dumplings. Maybe i will eliminate the baking powder altogether too.

0 likes

Yes, this really was EASY seitan!  It took about 5 minutes to prepare before transferring to the boiling water.  Like other people mentioned, make sure you have a big pot! I had to quickly start a second pot going because the first boiled over.  I think next time I'll try it without the baking powder to see if that makes it less airy.  Overall, it was a great success and I plan to incorporate homemade seitan as a staple from now on.

0 likes

This is great and really is easy to make--although it takes a long time to cook, once you start it, you can just leave it alone.  I'm making it for the second time right now, but really I'm just working on a research project while it makes itself.  I mixed homemade vegetable stock into the dough instead of water, and boiled it in half water, half stock.  This still wasn't enough flavor for us, so this time, I increased the amount of garlic powder and cumin (I don't have any onion powder), and I added a little cayenne.  I also increased the baking soda because I'd rather it was a little less fluffy.  The last batch, I breaded and pan-fried some of it, and my husband devoured all of it in a couple days and has since bragged to everyone he knows that I can make "vegan chicken nuggets." 

0 likes

Pages