1 quart soy milk or rice milk plain
salt and pepper to taste
1 stick of soy margarine
1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
2 pounds of potatoes
1/4 cup of pure vegetable oil
side vegetables and drinks of your choice

What you do: 

This makes a complete meal with bisquits and gravy, and serves 8.
Mix 1 cup of flour with water to make a paste. Set aside.
Mix the onion and garlic powder with 1 cup of flour. Set aside.
Coat Boca Burgers with the flour paste and then with the seasoned flour mixture.
Peel, cook and mash the potatoes.
Prepare bisquits: Place 2 cups of flour in a bowl and add non-aluminum baking powder and mix. Place small drops of cold margerine in flour mixture and salt to taste. Cut with a fork until margerine and flour are mixed. Add soy milk or water just enough so that dough resembles risen yeast vegan bread. Cut into bisquit shapes, and place on baking try until 10 min before meal is completed; and then bake in a 375 degree oven until brown.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Place coated boca burgers in oil and fry until golden brown or until desired browness.
Meanwhile, place 2 cups of soy milk in a small pot. Add salt to taste and pepper; but make sure there is enough pepper to see, but not so that the gravy is hot tasting. Its really good if you add a little bit of garlic and onion powder. Add some remaining flour paste to thicken when ready to serve.
This is a really great meal, and anyone who is not a vegan and likes chicken fried steak will love it.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

just so you know we've tried this more than once, and my non-vegetarian/non-vegan mom, tried it and loved it and i'm addicted to it!

0 likes

Either I made this wrong.. or this recipe is horrible. The flour paste stuff never really cooked and tasted chewy and came right off the patties... the biscuits weren't that great either. And I didn't know how much spices too add to the gravy so it came out dull-ish and the leftover flour paste wasn't enough to thicken it so I had to add a ton of flour to it, as well.  :-\

I have used blackbean burgers for my cfs(they have more flavor). I get the burgers to room temp then have 3 bowls of egg(optional),milk, crumbled crackers. Dip in the first 2 (sommetimes I do this twice) then coat with crumbs.
I a large pan I have fry onions(2 large sliced) in crisco first. Remove the brown onions and leave some pieces in the pan. Add a little more crisco the add the coated blackbean burgers. Fried them. This goes great with hmemade garlic mashed potatos and some greens(peas!). If you have made cfs with meat do it the same way just substitue the blackbean burgers. I try different ways to cfs.
I then make a flour gravy in the same pan(it will have more flavor). Drain most of the crisco if any is left(leave the bits though). Mix flour water and milk (I shake it up in covered bottle) then add to pan(make sure the pan is not too hot as it will clump the gravy) stir constantly. Salt and pepper to tast. Salt is the key.

0 likes

Either I made this wrong.. or this recipe is horrible. The flour paste stuff never really cooked and tasted chewy and came right off the patties... the biscuits weren't that great either. And I didn't know how much spices too add to the gravy so it came out dull-ish and the leftover flour paste wasn't enough to thicken it so I had to add a ton of flour to it, as well.  :-\

0 likes

Wow.  This was excellent.  Made it for dinner last night for myself, two sisters, and my boyfriend.  So totally NOT good for us, but sooooo delicious.  This is definitely a keeper!  I'd never made anything like this, or even had it in my pre-vegan days, but it was pretty easy to put together.  I'd make a little more gravy next time, since it's really really good on everything.  Thanks for such a great recipe!  :D

0 likes

YUMM! YUMM! YUMM!! I JUST GOT FINISHED EATING THIS!
THESE WERE WONDERFUL AND SUPER EASY TO MAKE!
THIS WILL DEFINTELY BE SOMETHING I MAKE AGAIN!
THANKS!!!!

0 likes
Anonymous

This was delicious! I'm going to make them into sandwiches next time.

0 likes

YUM!! WOW! I am amazed! We'll never want for chicken fried steak again - one of our favorite dishes before becoming vegan! I did alter the recipe slightly, I added some Ener-G Egg Replacer in both the liquid and dry batter, and in the dry, I added some poultry seasoning, seasoned salt, salt and pepper along with the other stuff. For the white gravy I used rice milk because soy has too strong of a flavor, with only a dab of soy for thickening. Of course this resulted in a darker color gravy (and I used the leftover batter), but it was great all the same! Thank you so much for this recipe! (Didn't make the biscuits because that would have been too much food.)

0 likes