1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 cups crushed tomatoes - 500 mL
2 tablespoon lemon juice
hot sauce or chili to taste
vegan buns- Portuguese or whole wheat
kaisers work really well

What you do: 

Crumble tofu into small pieces, fry in a decent sized frying pan (should be a couple of inches thick) with a bit of olive oil or non stick cooking spray. Add nutritional yeast, garlic, and vegetables (not the tomatoes). Saute about 10 minutes, being careful not to burn- its ok if the tofu browns a bit.
Add tamari, mustard, molasses, vinegar, tomatoes, hot sauce, lemon juice and oregano. Simmer a few minutes until heated through. You might want to add a bit of water or vegetable stock if it gets very thick.
Serve on open faced buns- its great if the buns have been toasted in a toaster oven or the oven a bit first.
This recipe was inspired by Sloppy Steves on this website, and most of the seasonings come from it! (This is just my personal modification).
Great source of iron and protein, plus lots of other great nutrients!

Preparation Time: 
30 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
3-4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made these tonight without knowing what to expect: I'm an aussie & we don't "do" sloppy joes, but I was curious.... served 'em up to my carnivore (& butcher ironically) boy & he loved them, although he suggested that the mix would go well with mashed potatoes.

I made way to much & am looking forward to squishing the mixture into toasted sandwiches tomorrow.... mmmmmmm.

1 like

Very good!  Kids loved these.  Thanks for the great recipe.

0 likes