4 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
5 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped, without stems
chives, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 large portobello mushroom caps
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 sheet vegan puff pastry

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and grease a cookie sheet. For topping, melt 1 tablespoon margarine in a skillet over low heat. Stir in the shallot, leek, and garlic and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the button mushrooms and about 1/2 the thyme.
2. Cook until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mixture is just moist (about 10 minutes). Transfer mixture to a bowl. Melt the remaining margarine in the skillet, still over low heat, and add the shittakes. Cook for 5 minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the rest of the mixture. Add chives and black pepper and stir.
3. Next place your mushroom caps on prepared cookie sheet. Brush on the mustard and add the remaining thyme and black pepper. Take your topping mixture and spoon 1/2 onto each cap.
4. Cut two large rounds out of the puff pastry sheet and drape over the portobellos/topping. You can brush some melted margarine on the outside of the pastry if you want to. Bake in oven until the pastry looks done (about 15 minutes in my oven).
This dish takes a while to make with all the chopping and sauteeing, but the result is an elegant main dish perfect for a special occasion (for example, this would be good to celebrate an anniversary). I serve it with a side of basil green beans and a nice vegan wine.

Preparation Time: 
about 1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These were AWESOME!  I used crimini mushrooms instead of shittake, but otherwise stuck to the recipe....Fantastic!!

0 likes

So I bought puff pastry "Shells" on accident. Needless to say I couldn't use the portabellos because they would have been too big. So I ended up using the mushroom mixture (Shitake,Button, Leeks, Shallots) and some mock meat crumbles I just happened to have. Turned out great! Very yummy! I posted a picture (on the spiderweb plate). 

0 likes

This sounds silly, but  I'm having a hard time finding vegan puffed pastry. Anyone know any brand names for it?

Try Pepperidge Farms: http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=767

0 likes

This sounds silly, but  I'm having a hard time finding vegan puffed pastry. Anyone know any brand names for it?

0 likes

This sounds fantastic!!  Cant wait to try it!

0 likes

Delicious!! I loved this recipe and so did hubby.  the leeks and puff pastry are soo good with the portobello mushroom, and it is not hard to make at all.  I would have maybe liked just a *little* more flavor, and so next time I will probably try marinading the mushrooms in some red wine before hand.  this is excellent and different-- really nice to addition to my recipe box!

0 likes

This is so easy and good  ;)b
Love this recipe  ;)b

0 likes

This was delicious, and did not have to much chopping for my standards.  I actually thought this was a pretty simple meal. :) I wanted to save a few bucks, so I used baby bella's in place of  the shiitakes, and I used dryed thyme instead of fresh.  The flavor was still amazing! I was not sure if I should cook the caps upside down or right side up.  I cooked them upside down, generously smeared Dijon mustard inside them, filled the caps with the "topping", and sealed them up with the puff pastry.  Everyone gobbled them up!  I will definitely make this again. ;)b ;)b ;)b

0 likes

Made these for my culinary class presentation.  Big hit with the other students even though the crust didn't get cooked enough.  I wanted something impressive looking enough for class and still be vegan.  I gave the only vegan presentation...sigh....

Good thing is though a lot of the students were really interested and wanted to learn more about veganism!

Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!! :)>>>

0 likes

Made this for Thanksgiving and mostly it came out great!  I loved how easy it is to make.  Only problem is I didn't cook enough liguid out of the mushrooms and the bottom crusts came out a little soggy.  Still very good though.  I used cookie cutters to cut out leaf shapes from the puff pastry dough and decorated the tops with them....very pretty!  Wish I had a camera....

Recipe is definately a keeper!  ;)b

0 likes

Pages