You are here

Anonymous
Member since December 1969

Thanksgiving Meat Loaf

What you need: 

2 egg replacers
(I use 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder + 1 tablespoon corn starch + 4 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 (12 ounce) box medium-firm silken tofu
1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet vegan dried onion soup mix
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon oil
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, chopped (I use portobello mushrooms)
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon sage
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix egg replacer, soy sauce, tofu, and onion soup mix together in blender. Add walnuts and blend until smooth. Grease a loaf pan.
2. Heat oil and saute onion, celery, and mushrooms until onions are transparent. Add basil, oregano, and sage while vegetables are frying.
3. Thoroughly mix blender ingredients, cooked vegetables and bread crumbs together in a large bowl.
4. Press into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 75 minutes. Let cool slightly. Turn loaf out and slice.
To make it stick together better, try lowering the bread crumbs to 3/4 cup and adding one of the following: 1 extra box tofu, 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes, 1 to 1 1/2 cup(s) cooked brown rice or 1 cup burger-style crumbles. You can also cover the top of loaf with ketchup before baking.
This has become a standard dish at my parents' house when all sorts of eating habits must be catered to. Even the most obstinate meat eaters love it. It is also excellent the next day cold on a sandwich with a bit of mustard.'

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Adding some flax seed meal to it acted like a binder as would egg and it was delicious and held together well. For your enjoyment, here's a clever and fun vegan thanksgiving song written by a vegan college student:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvIFDhZ3Ejw

0 likes

This was truly delicious! I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I had a problem with the loaf not getting done inside. I ended up putting it back in the over for another 30 minutes, and even then it wasn't really cooked through. Nonetheless, it was tasty and we finished it all!

0 likes

Very tasty meatloaf! I will definitely make this again!

The few changes I made: I used ground flax seed and water for the egg replacers; I couldn't find any vegan bread crumbs so I used quick rolled oats instead (about 2 cups worth); I added a pack of Yves 'Meatless Ground'; and I baked it for about 2 hours and 15  minutes. I kept it in there for so long because I kept checking it by stabbing it with a knife and it never came out clean. About half was through baking, I took it out of the oven and topped with a ketchup/mustard/maple syrup sauce. This really helped to keep the top from getting too crispy.

The flavours are really good but the consistency was still a bit too moist in the centre. Next time I will also follow the suggestion of blending a piece of bread into the mixture.

Overall, great recipe, thanks for sharing and for all the helpful suggestions!

0 likes

So i made this tonight. And just a few changes i made were that i used Ener-G egg replacer instead of the arrowroot, and  i used a 14oz pack of extra firm tofu. I topped mine with a mixture of tomato paste, ketchup, and brown sugar. This was a nice recipe. The inside was a little too moist but it still tasted good. Thanks! :)

0 likes

Outstanding. The texture was perfect. I had read the reviews where some thought it was too mushy so I added 1/2 c. oatmeal. I also made sure to dice the celery, onions and mushrooms very small. The flavor was delicious. Next time I make it, I will also make some miso gravy to go on top.

0 likes

This is now my regular holiday fare.

Adding about a cup of brown rice to it is a must for me to help with the firmness.

0 likes

I think when I made this last year, I did not use silken tofu, just regular firm. Cooked it the day before we were planning to eat it and it turned out wonderful. I think the silken tofu might be the wrong choice for this recipe, esp since it acts as a binder with the egg replacer. Don't believe the egg replacer soaks up enough of the liquid from the silken tofu......that could be a reason why the center is soggy. I didn't have a problem with a soft center with the firm tofu......good luck and happy eating

0 likes

Best meatloaf I have ever had. I make it alllll the time! :)>>>

0 likes

I made this on the weekend for the family and they devoured it. So, I guess I'll be making this dish agin.  ;)b

0 likes

5 STARS!

(can I give it 6?)

But here's the thing - this is one of those recipes that, in our opinion, is ok out of the oven, but is FANTASTIC the next day.  Like a great soup or stew, there's something about having a day to rest in the fridge that does amazing things.......

That said, we did really love it last night for supper.  I served it with a choice of homemade cranberry sauce (because the sage does remind one of stuffing - personallly, we love the flavor of sage, so this is a really great thing) or a dressed up ketchup.  We both had leftovers for lunch today - DH had his over rice, mine was in a pita with Vegannaise and cranberry.

For egg sub, I used 2 heaping tsps of flax seed and 1 tbl of arrowroot ground together with the tofu, walnuts, tamari, garlic.  Also added in around 1 1/2 cups of brown Jasmine rice.

It didn't stay together perfectly fresh out of the oven, but it wasn't mushy.  Flavor was good, too - BUT totally amazing today!

0 likes

Pages