You are here

Member since April 2003

Sun-Dried Tomato Sandwich Spread

What you need: 

2 packages of sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil (fresh is better - 15 to 20 leaves)
dash onion powder
dash cayenne pepper to taste

What you do: 

Reconstitute tomatoes as per package directions (usually 5 minutes in boiling water). Blend tomatoes in food processor. Slowly add other ingredients. Continue blending to a smooth consistency.
Spread on whole wheat multigrain wheatgerm-laced, natural seed encrusted vegan bread.
Good with a slice of favorite dairy free cheese.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I have to agree with Rowdy Sprout that visually this spread is ugly, but taste-wise it is OM NOM NOM!  ;)b I only had a handful of SDTs so I stretched them with another handful of fresh cherry tomatoes I had on hand. My SDTs required more than 5 min to reconstitute. I added no salt, they didn't need it, but some good quality paprika and white pepper were welcome additions. Spread on wholegrain bread with olives and red pepper strips...yumbles.

0 likes

oh yum!
  I just made this with one 100 gram package of sundried tomatoes, omitted the onion powder (didn't have any on hand), added 2 extra cloves of garlic, a splash of grapeseed oil, and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. All I can say is AMAZING!! This spread will be going on my sandwich tomorrow and will probably be even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Thank you for this recipe! :D

0 likes

I've been lusting for the longest time for a "tomato substitute" for tomatoes for sandwiches.  Tomatoes seem to have such a short shelf life in the fridge and I hate making a sandwich w/out them.  And it's so disappointing to find slimy tomatoes in the crisper when you really want a sandwich.

So, I've tried my hand at this recipe and I think it may be the perfect idea.

Here is how I made my spread:
1 pkg Mezzetta Sun Ripened Tomatoes (Dried Tomatoes, 85 grams)
1 pkg fresh basil (0.75 oz, this worked out to be slightly more than 20 leaves)
2 cloves of fresh garlic (I think I'll try 3 or 4 next time)
1 dash of onion powder (Actually several good shakes.  I used a store brand.)
1 ounce of olive oil
1 dash of Mrs. Dash (To taste.  I used a couple of good shakes.)

I boiled the sun dried tomatoes in two cups of water for a few minutes until they were reconstituted, then I removed them from the heat.

Then I spent 20 minutes trying to find the mini-chopper that my son uses to make his truly disgusting tuna fish paste.  I finally settled on my wife's full-sized Cuisinart, which worked out fine.

I started blending the sun dried tomatoes.  Boy they make a really ugly, thick mess.  Added the basil (snapping the stems off, next time I'll keep the stems, I think) and the garlic and onion power.  Blended some more.  Now an even uglier mess, time to improvise.

I was planning all along to add some olive oil, so I added 1 ounce and blended some more.  Still pretty thick, so I added about 1 ounce of the water left over from boiling the tomatoes.  Next time I will save ALL the water so I can adjust my spread's consistency to be just right.

At this point I ended up with a reallllly thick paste that looks kind of like the fish catfood I sometimes get for my cat.

Overcoming my reluctance, I tried a little bit on a piece of french bread.  Voila!  It was delicious!  Better than I ever imagined!  Hopefully I will never again have to do without tomatoes on my sandwich!

I don't know what the shelf life will be.  Perhaps I need to look at (UGH) some sort of preservative as I would like this to be able to sit in my fridge "forever", kind of like mustard and ketchup.

This concoction nicely filled a Pyrex 6 oz bowl, which I covered in plastic wrap.  I'll be replacing that with some sort of Tupperware container.

I'll also be tweaking this recipe and update this thread if I make any improvements.

I have no idea how close my version is to JFergens' recipe, but I offer you my thanks for getting me started on this quest.  I haven't seen ANYthing in the stores that would work as a fresh tomato substitute.  I think this will allow me to fufill my 'tomato needs' without the hassle of dealing with fresh tomatoes.

Thanks!

RS

0 likes

Just used the rest of the spread on celery sticks with sprouts on top, it was extra good. I think I like it better on the celery sticks, maybe because of the crunch? Anyway, it was still extra tasty either way.

0 likes

I stared at this recipe half the morning before I decided to make it. Went to get my blender off the refrig, dropped it, shattered into a thousand pieces. Nevertheless; I pushed forward with my mini chopper. I didn't have basil, used cilantro instead. I had to add olive oil, mayo, and sour crm before I took a liking to it. Made it into a sandwich with some sprouts, delicious  :)>>>. I had a bit of a bitter after taste, didn't last long....overall I enjoyed the lite lunch. Thanks for the recipe  ;)b

0 likes

Wow, this worked out perfectly!  I had very little in my cupboards for supper tonight, and I've had a package of sundried tomatoes kicking around for quite some time.  What a great use for them.  I made mine extra spicy with the crushed pepper flakes and mellowed it out with some melty tofutti cheese. 

0 likes

I wanna ask the same question as Ann: How much is in a package?  :)

0 likes