2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 handfuls fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons dried
1 cup red wine
4 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes or 2- 28 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes
tomato paste, as needed
freshly ground pepper
dash of sugar (optional)

What you do: 

Sauté the onions in oil in a large saucepan until they begin to caramelize. Reduce heat slightly and add garlic (and basil if you are using the dried herb). Continue to sauté for a few more minutes until the basil and garlic are fragrant. Deglaze with half the wine and reduce.
Cut your tomatoes into pieces, and add along with any liquid to the onions. If you desire, add tomato paste for a thicker sauce and richer color. I use about three ounces.
Cook uncovered at medium-low heat for about 40 minutes. Stir infrequently, so enough liquid cooks out. If your tomatoes are not especially ripe or too acidic, add a dash of vegan sugar to cut back the tartness.
Add the rest of the wine and fresh basil (if you have not already added dried basil). Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes more until the alcohol is cooked out and the sauce thickens up again.
Check for seasonings. Add some pepper to taste and serve over pasta.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Great recipe!

0 likes

This is very close to a recipe that I make. I often add a sliced or diced bell pepper to the onion and saute it until tender. Also, mushrooms make a great addition. Add a cup of sliced baby bellas to the onion, garlic, bell pepper (if using). I agree this needs more garlic. I'd actually add about 5 or 6 cloves (due to the mushrooms and bell pepper additions). As for the spices, I'd also add some oregano and thyme (always fresh if I have it on hand). I'm going to make this tonight. For anyone who is hesitant to try it due to the wine; if you like red wine, you're going to love this sauce. It's versitale (add different veggies and spices) and works well with any shape pasta!

0 likes